Event Day Programme
8.00am – 9.45am Enquiries Desk Open, Victoria Park. Please note there are no on the day transfers or entries available
8.00am – 9.45am Fun Run enquiries & number collection desk open
8.30am Safe Bag Storage in Victoria Park opens
9.00am Refreshments served at various tents in the race village
9.30am Make your way to the start area, Tenterbanks
10.00am Half Marathon Start, Victoria Road
10.10am Fun Run Starts, Victoria Road
11.10am First runner back (approx.)
12.30pm Half Marathon Prize Giving, Bandstand in Victoria Park
12.30pm – 1.00pm Half Marathon Course Closes, Stewards stand down and road closures are lifted
Important Race Information
To ensure a safe and enjoyable event for everyone we ask that all runners read and observe our Participant Code of Conduct and general pre-race briefing information as follows:
- Come ready to run; minimise your interaction with other people by being as self-sufficient as possible
- Under no circumstances swap your number or give your place to another participant
- Leave more time than you normally would to get to and from the event
- Be aware of your personal hygiene, avoid spitting and nasal clearance
- Be respectful to event stewards, volunteers and other participants and mindful of your surroundings and impact on others
Please also note;
- The earlier sections of the course will start to be closed from 12.30pm; stewards will stand down and road closures will be lifted by 1pm.
- Minimum pace, 12 minutes per mile.
- An enthusiastic crowd makes all the difference to the runners, so please give your support along the 13.1 mile course!
- There is plenty of space for spectators on the streets of Stafford town centre and in Victoria Park which is on the last mile of the course.
- Spectators must stay behind the crowd barriers and not attempt to access or cross the course at key times. Certain areas are for runners only - INCLUDING THE LINE UP AREA - please follow course signage.
- Market Square is on the last mile of the course and acts as a great hotspot to watch the final part of the race. Please see the route map for details.
For health and safety reasons, spectators are not allowed to run or cycle alongside the participants.
Viewing is possible along the whole Half Marathon course, although you are reminded to respect local residents. The spectator hot-spots include the 7-mile point at Kingston Hill as well as Victoria Park.
Race Numbering Positioning
Remember to attach your Race Number to your running top and complete your SOS details on the reverse of the number in permanent marker pen. Pin your race number at the four corners and put it in a central position on the front of your running top; do not attach it to your running shorts or put it on the back of your top. Your race number includes your chip timing tag. You must fill out all of the details on the reverse of your race number prior to the race. DO NOT fold your race number and DO NOT attach pins to the section containing the attached chip timing tag.
2024 Stafford Half Marathon - Road Closures
In order to provide the best experience for runners and spectators alike, inevitably we have to close some roads during the race. Click the link below to see this year's road closures and to see the times they will be closed.
Running on the road
Always be aware of the following: Keep to the left-hand side of the road and do not deviate from the official course as you may wander outside of the road closure zones. Follow any direction arrows [black arrow on a yellow sign] and temporary road traffic signs. Follow all instructions from police and stewards. Not all of the roads are closed, please be aware of moving traffic and other road or footpath users.
Available at the following locations:
- 3 miles - Salt Avenue (water cups)
- 7 miles - Birkdale Drive (water cups)
- 10 miles - top of Stone Road (water cups)
- 5 miles – in Victoria Park – finish line (Water bottles)
A disposal point has been provided after all of the water stations, please hold on to your rubbish until you reach these points.
- Victoria Park – At the Race village in Victoria Park (Right side of the park next to the café). Portable toilets are also near the finish line
- Portable toilets at top of Salt Avenue - 3 miles from race start
- Portable toilets in Birkdale Drive - 7 miles from race start
- Portable toilets at Beaconside – 8.5 miles from the start
St John Ambulance Brigade will be on duty throughout the race. If you require first aid assistance either approach first aid personnel at the water stations or one of the stewards on duty. Due to the nature of the route, first aid treatment will be provided as soon as possible. If it is an emergency an ambulance will be sent to the scene.
Be aware of road surfaces and conditions. These can vary due to wet/cold weather, resulting in slippery surfaces. Roads can be unpredictable due to uneven surfaces, speed humps, cambers and potholes. All runners are expected to wear appropriate footwear.
Headphones which go in or cover the ear are not allowed in this race. Bone conducting ear phones are permitted. Please note the race referee can disqualify runners seen wearing headphones in the ear or covering the ear.
Safe bag storage
Bag storage for participants is available at the Victoria Park Race Village between 8.30am - 1pm. A tear off Baggage Label is included on your race number, this can be attached to your bag.
A marquee will be sited in Victoria Park Race Village to deal with any enquiries on the morning of the event. This will be open from 8.00am to 9.45am. Please note there will be no on the day transfers or entries allowed.
There are roadworks leading into Stafford that can be found here, we also have Half Marathon road closures in place from 7.00am so please allow extra time for travel.
Main Car Parks
- Waterfront Multi Storey ST16 2HQ (£1: 8am - 6.30pm, variable stay, pay on foot)
- Riverside Undercroft ST16 3AA (£1: 8am - 8pm, variable stay, pay on foot)
- Doxey Road ST16 2TF (£1: 8am - 8am following day, surface car park. Restricted access/queues likely during the event)
Results will be available on www.staffordhalf.com. Initially this will be race finishing times with individual chip timings appearing later.
The Prize Giving Ceremony for the men’s and women’s open prizes 1st, 2nd & 3rd positions only, will take place on The Grandstand in Victoria Park at 12.30pm.
Other prizes will be awarded to the 1st men’s and 1st woman’s veteran only in categories in ten-year groups (Women’s >35 - <75; Men’s >40 - <80). These veteran category prizes will be posted out to the winners.
2024 race photos will be available shortly after the event. In the meantime have a look at the offical race photos from the 2023 Stafford Half Marathon courtesy of Mick Hall Photography.