November 25 2021

RISE is a Sussex-based charity that supports people affected by domestic abuse and violence. RISE stands for Refuge, Information, Support and Education. Our vision is freedom from abuse and violence.

This page has three functions, first and foremost we have included some of the essential information from the RISE website that you can access should you need to. This will turn up in your search history as a freedom leisure website page about women's health. Secondly, we have included all of the details you need should you wish to get RISE training or donate to the charity. Finally, we will be using the page to update on the partnership we have embarked upon with the charity, which will facilitate us to run special sessions for women who have endured or are enduring domestic violence, giving them a safe space to work out and meet other women. 

On this page you will see buttons throughout that will take you to another page on our website, should you wish to hide what you are reading. See below:

Do you think you need support?

Are you frightened and confused about your relationship with your partner, ex-partner or a member of your family? Abuse doesn't necessarily involve physical acts of violence, and to that effect many people don't consider themselves to be in an abusive relationship.

RISE have put together a series of questions to help you decide whether you need to get in touch


Am I in an abusive relationship? 

RISE operates an independent domestic abuse helpline in Brighton & Hove.

If you think you may be in an abusive relationship you can call their helpline on 01273 622 822. The helpline is open Monday evenings (5-7pm), and Tuesday and Wednesday mornings 9.30 - 12.30pm. Alternatively, you can email Rise at helpline@riseuk.org.uk letting them know a safe contact number on which to call you during these times.

If you are seeking LGBTQ+ support, you can speak to their specialist caseworker from 5pm - 7pm on a Monday evening on 01273 622 828 or email lgbt@riseuk.org.uk

If you are in danger, call 999.

If you call 999 and are unable to speak, and are using a mobile phone, call 55 to let the police know it is a genuine emergency and then follow the instructions that you will hear.

It is not true that police will automatically attend if you make a silent 999 call. If you can't speak you can respond to the operator's questions by coughing or tapping the handset if possible, and if you're using a mobile phone, press 55 to use the Silent Solution system.

Pressing 55 does not allow police to track your location.

If you need immediate help and support call the freephone National Domestic Violence 24hr Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Or call the Brighton and Hove Domestic Abuse Support Service at Victim Support on 0300 323 9985.




About the RISE helpline

RISE helpline workers will listen to you and give you support, advice and information. RISE  focus on support for recovery and moving on. They have services such as courses, groups, and therapy and activity groups, and may suggest these to you, depending on what is available as well as what is suitable for your needs.

Where appropriate, they may carry out a brief risk assessment and refer you to other local services, including the new caseworking service provided by their partners Victim Support Sussex. They can also let you know about other local and national organisations which may be able to help you.

Sussex Police offer a disclosure service, to help you find out more about your partner’s offending history so you can make more informed choices. Each case is considered individually and information will be shared when it could reduce the risk of someone being a victim of crime. Please call the Helpline or email RISE to ask about this.

There are steps you can take to help keep yourself (and your children) safe.

  1. Tell someone you trust about the situation.

    Ask them to keep an eye on you. Decide on a safe word or phrase you can use (spoken or text) to let them know you are not ok. Agree what they would do if you use the safe word (such as call the police).

  2. Plan what to do in an emergency.
    Decide which room at home feels safest and which friends or family members you can turn to. In an emergency, if you can’t leave the house, try to block yourself in the safest room and call 999.

  3. Teach your children how and when to call 999.
    Make sure they also know how to give their name and address to the emergency services. Ask neighbours to call 999 if they hear a disturbance.

  4. The Silent Solution system enables a 999 mobile caller who is too scared to make a noise, or speak, to press 55 when prompted – to inform police they are in a genuine emergency. It can, in extreme situations, potentially save a life.

    It is not true that police will automatically attend if you make a silent 999 call. To ensure the call receives a response, callers need to listen and respond to questions and instructions, including by coughing or tapping the handset if possible, or if using a mobile phone, once prompted by the automated Silent Solution system, pressing 55.

    The system filters out thousands of accidental or hoax silent 999 calls made daily. Around 50 emergency calls from mobiles a day are transferred by a BT operator to police forces in the UK as a result of someone having pressed 55 when prompted, enabling the police to carry out urgent enquiries to respond.

  5. Be ready to leave in an emergency.
    Keep copies of important documents, some emergency money, any medication and a packed bag in a safe place, or with a trusted friend or family member.

  6. Keep your phone close and fully charged.
    Put important numbers on speed dial.

  7. Keep an itemised record of unwanted contact or abuse.
    Include the date and time of when it occurred and and how it made you feel. (Only do this if you have a secure place to store it.)

  8. If you're planning to leave, ask for help.
    Get support and advice from people you trust on how you can leave in the safest way possible.

Donate to RISE

Paying via website

If you collected the money in cash and want to pay it in online, the donation page can be found here.


Bank transfer

You can make a payment directly into RISE's bank account, please email fundraising@riseuk.org.uk for bank details.



You can send a cheque, payable to ‘RISE’ and send it to RISE, PO Box 889, Brighton BN2 1GH.

Please include a note with your name, address, telephone number and / or email address, so they know who the money is from and can contact you if we have any problems paying it in.


Standing order

If you would like to support RISE with a regular gift, you can download a standing order mandate form here. Regular gifts are the most valuable way of donating to RISE, as they allow the charity to plan and budget for the future.