RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
Please click here for open course dates and venues.
The Royal Life Saving Society National Pool Lifeguard Qualification course (NPLQ), covered over 36 hours plus an external assessment (normally over 5 or 6 days), will qualify you to work as a Lifeguard in any public swimming pool.
The NPLQ course is recognised by all the professional bodies in leisure, and will help employers and operators meet their legal requirements to provide qualified and competent Lifeguards. All skills and knowledge gained are also valuable outside of work and one day may help save someone’s life.
Open Course Price
To attend an open course, the price is £210 per person for Sussex based courses or £230 per person for Surrey based course (VAT not applicable).
Delivering the Training On-Site
While we offer open course dates for this training, if you have a number of staff who need to attend it may be more cost effective to book a on-site course, on days and at times that suit you.
To deliver this 5 day course anywhere in Sussex, for a maximum of 12 people, the price is £800 plus £80 per person (VAT not applicable). Additional costs may be added for courses run outside Sussex or run over more than 5 days.
The cost is fully inclusive of trainer, manuals, external assessment and certificates, but does not include venue hire or refreshments. Please note that the venue must be suitable for the course (please contact us for our advice if you are uncertain).
- Must be at least 16 years old at the start of the course
- Attend all sessions to be eligible for final assessment
- Swim efficient breast-stroke and have some knowledge of sidestroke
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in less then 60 seconds
- Swim a minimum of 100 metres on their back and front continuously
- In deep water, tread water for at least 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool at its deepest point
- Climb out of the pool unaided without using the ladder/steps
The NPLQ covers a wide range of topics within its syllabus including:
- The principles of pool lifeguarding
- In-water rescue and spinal injury management
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- First aid
- The application of supervision and rescue in a swimming pool
Assessment, Certification and Re-Certification
At the end of the course there is a formal assessment by an independent examiner when trainees must demonstrate the skills and knowledge learnt during the course. Trainees will receive a certificate after successful completion of the course, and the qualification lasts for two years. If you complete the required criteria of training over the duration of your qualification then you can be re-assessed at the end of the two year period, or you go can attend another full course.
To book your training or for more information please contact us.
- first aid courses »
- health and safety courses »
- food safety courses »
- lifeguard & lifesaving courses »
- pool plant courses »
- fitness instructor courses »
- trainer and assessor courses »
- apprenticeships »
- work for us »
- terms & conditions »
- contact us »
- newsletter sign up »
- our partners »